Podcast 5: Being good enough, how to make tough decisions and training as a black belt
In today’s coffee break, we’ll be talking about how to manage risk in your business and your life, how to be a “good enough” parent, and answer a few listener questions about what it means to be a black belt.
Risk and Decision Making:
Maggie and Daniel talk about the choices they had available to them when they decided to take the plunge into small business ownership and buy their taekwondo school.
- Step 1: Think about the possible outcomes
- Imagine what the worst case scenario, the best case and the most likely scenerio.
- Sometimes, we imagine the worst thing happening, but we don’t specify what the worst thing would be. When we imagine what it is, we can decide whether or not we can live with that. Sometimes we only let ourselves think about the best case scenario, but when we accept the full range of possible outcomes, we’re more likely to be okay with our decision.
- Step 2: Give it a timeline
- We gave ourselves a year to figure out whether or not we wanted to be small business owners.
- Step 3: Enjoy the journey!
- Remember, if something is worth succeeding at, it’s probably worth failing at to.
Things we mentioned:
Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert
Being a “Good Enough” Parent
Instead of trying to be perfect, try to be present
This segment is largely inspired by Barry Swartz book The Paradox of Choice.
Most parent’s want “the best” for their kids. The best schools, the best parents, the best…But sometimes it can be helpful to consider what is good enough for our kids. It’s okay to have high standards, but also accept that some days you might want to be good enough.
- Have screen free time with your kids every day - make eye contact, engage with them
- Your kids aren’t wrong for having needs. And you’re not wrong for needing time to yourself.
When in training did you decide you always wanted Martial Arts to be a part of your life?
Winning Feeling from Arnold Schwarzenegger
#1 Reason Why People Fail by Arnold Schwarzenegger
Stay in Touch!
Leave a comment below or visit us on social media
on Twitter @TitusvilleATA
Instagram @mr_penton and @pentonator
and all of our episodes are available for download on Apple Podcasts, Google Play Music, Subscribe on Android and on our website at www.mycoffeebreakpodcast.com/episodes