On this podcast, we discuss black belt parenting strategies, lessons we’ve learned from owning and operating our Martial Arts academy - Master Yourself Martial Arts, and our love of Songahm Taekwondo.
Welcome to our 10th episode!
In our Martial Arts training, we often frame each new belt or rank of black belt as a new beginning. So, we want to think of our 10th episode as an opportunity to take stock.
Black Belt Parenting Tips
- We revisit saying what you want and using positive reinforcement.
- Kids are often driven by needing to meet their needs and their desire to be accepted.
- Take the opportunity to use positive reinforcement
ex: when your child shapes up give them credit rather than hanging on to your frustration about their misbehavior
ex: Make sure you praise the moments when your child chooses the right thing
- Kids will give up on good behavior if they don’t get rewarded for it.
- Appreciate that for a child, Attention is a NEED. If they’re not getting attention for being good, then they might be bad.
- When you give attention to a behavior, your feeding that behavior. You want to be cautious about the behavior you feed.
- Recognize that parenting is practice. Good behavior is behavior that brings us closer to our goals or is more align with your values.
Q) How do I improve my parenting skills?
A) Give yourself more opportunities to work with kids - volunteer at a church, your child’s school, or in your child’s Martial Arts class! :)
Perils and Perks of Owning a Small Business
- Everything is the basics.
- Bringing your whole self to work
- Failure vs. Floundering
Our Love of Songahm Taekwondo
Stay in Touch!
Visit us on Facebook @MasterYourselfMartialArts
Check us out on Twitter @TitusvilleATA
Follow us on Instagram, Daniel is @mr_penton and Maggie is @pentonator
And of course you can listen to all of our episodes online at mycoffedebreak.com/episodes