In the Coffee Break Podcast we discuss black belt parenting strategies, lessons we've learned from owning a small business and our love of Songahm Taekwondo.
Black Belt Parenting Strategy: Back to School Season
- Help your child get enough sleep.
- Turn off screens well before bedtime. Why screen time before bed is bad for children.
- Recognize that your child may have unpleasant experiences at school, but your child will probably be okay.
- Resist the idea that your kid can make up for your education.
- The most important thing to learn in school is how to learn.
- Resist the urge to think that school is the most "important" part of your child's life
Lessons from Owning a Business: Work/Life Balance
- Schedule Time that is just for family
- Make sure you have some time every day when you give your kids your undivided attention - where you're not doing anything specific.
- Use the time on your car ride to connect on your child's level
- No Phones at the Table
Lessons from Martial Arts: Staying Safe on the Internet
- Manage the time you spend online - choose to spend time rather than getting lost
- Watch out bullies, predators and trolls
- report, block, and get support
- Remember that there's a World outside the internet
- Make it hard for your kids to get to inappropriate content
- Keep lines of communication open and judgement free - so your kids know they can come to you if they get into a situation that's difficult for them to handle
- Don't sit down too long!
For further reading: Check out the work of Dr. Mary Aiken. Her book The Cyber Effect talks about the effects of technology on our behavior and children development. It's a fascinating read and has great tips for managing our use of technology.
Stay in Touch
Instagram: @mr_penton and @pentonator
Please leave us a rating or review so new listeners can find our podcast!