Welcome to the Coffee Break Podcast. Hosts Daniel and Maggie Penton are married, black belts, business owners, and parents. In this podcast, we’ll be enjoying our favorite treat - a cup of coffee together -- and sharing some of the lessons we’ve learned as business owners and instructors Master Yourself Martial Arts, black belt parenting strategies and our love of Songahm Taekwondo.
In today’s coffee break, we’ll be introducing ourselves, discussing why you should take your child seriously but not always at their word, and talk about the upcoming ATA World Expo in Little Rock, Arkansas.
We have been owner/operators at Master Yourself Martial Arts since 2010. At our academy, we focus on teaching the kids and families of our community to improve their discipline, focus, learn self-defense skills, improve their fitness and have fun through the Martial Art of Songahm Taekwondo. We’re an independently owned and operated location licensed by ATA International.
Black Belt Parenting Strategy: Take your child seriously, but not at their word
Maggie and Daniel each share a story where they were concerned about one thing, but it was masking an underlying problem. Sometimes our kids do this, too.
- Ask clarifying questions
- maybe there’s something they need or a skill you can help with
- maybe they need to air a concern/fear
- make a strategy to overcome that obstacle
- Observe the results if you stick to your routine, even if you don’t feel like it
- I usually complain about exercising, but I’m glad when I did it. Maybe your kid is complaining just to complain.
- Let your kid (or yourself) save face
- If they do have fun, don’t hold it against them. Sometimes, we remind kids that they’re hurt/angry/etc. when they were ready to move on, but they feel like they need to double down
- Remind them of their best moments, not their worst!
Finally, Maggie and Daniel talk about the upcoming ATA World Expo and Daniel's competition for the title of World Champion!
For more about the ATA World Expo:
We’re very excited about hosting our own regional tournament: the Space Coast Rumble on December 9 in honor of the rumble we hear up and down the Space Coast every time there is a launch.
We’ll be highlighting our black belt sponsors on our podcast over the next few months! If your interested in featuring your product or business, please be sure to contact us!
Thanks for listening! Remember to subscribe to us to be sure you get our weekly episodes! Leave us a rating or review to help others find us!
And stay in touch!
email us at TitusvilleATA@gmail.com
follow us on twitter @TitusvilleATA
check us out on Facebook at Master Yourself Martial Arts.
Or Instagram at @Pentonator or @Mr_Penton
Let us know how taking your child seriously, but not at their word works for you, and if your going to the ATA expo! Give us a shout out, and Mr. Penton will see you there!